Author Topic: Bidding on 9 coins in the Heritage Auction....Two new coins added today from DLC  (Read 2745 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
As I have placed aggressive bids on the coins, I should be able to report on a number

of wins in the next few days. These additions, will probably go a long way in completing

my collection.

In the meantime,feel free to view my new Wash/Carver Commem and the 1888 Liberty Seated Quarter

that have been placed in the photo album on this forum.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 05:06:09 PM by bear »

Offline AnkurJ

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
Just as a quick FYI, you know most coins heritage has have been through CAC right?
Always buying purdy toners and early US type!

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
THE POINT BEING? i AM SAYING THAT IN THE MOST RESPECTFUL MANNER.

Offline AnkurJ

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
The point being that there are a lot of coins with hidden issues and problems in heritage auctions. Their images do a great job of hiding these. After being burned on more than one occasion, I refuse to bid on anything in their auctions that is NOT CAC'd. You may think you are getting a problem free coin, but its not always the case. Anything priced over $1k has most likely already been to CAC.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
AH, I NOW UNDERSTAND.  :'( :'( MOST OF MY BIDS ARE ALL CAC.

I TOOK A CHANCE ON A FEW THAT SEEMED NICE ON MAGNIFICATION :'(ATION

I WILL BE THE FIRST TO ADMIT IF I GET SCREWED ON ANY OF THEM. I guess that

I should have known better, but I got carried away with enthusiasm. I just hope I get lucky.

What do you do if you are screwed. Any remedy?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 05:39:54 PM by bear »

Offline AnkurJ

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
Remedy? Nope. They do not take returns. One coin I was fortunate to resell for a $400 loss. First time I was THRILLED to take a loss. And the other coin I somehow sold for a $200 profit. Both coins were cleaned, and this did not show in their images, even under full magnification. Now for anything highly priced, I have someone look at the coin for me and report back.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
I guess I instinctively went with CAC on the expensive coins and on the cheepies

took a chance. If I get burned, it will be on the low side. But I thank you for your heartfelt warning.

Offline AnkurJ

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
No problem. Your post about mistakes....one of my mistakes was buying a high priced coin based on auction images.

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
I do not believe that their is an advanced collector, including myself, have believed that we could

beat the odds all the time and come out a winner instead of a weannie.Its just that a lot of folks are too

embarrassed to admit it and that is a shame. We really learn more from our mistakes then we do

from our successes.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:03:37 AM by bear »

Offline AnkurJ

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
How did you do last night with your bids Bear?