Author Topic: Sample slabs  (Read 3333 times)

Offline acan451

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
  • Love my Sample Slabs
Sample slabs
« on: June 18, 2011, 02:53:10 PM »
Hi I am new here and I would like to know if anyone here collects SampleSlabs
Here is a new one I just picked up
Alan

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Sample slabs
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 02:54:38 PM »
That's a nice one. Why don't you give us some background history on Sample Slabs for the ones who don't know about them :)

Offline acan451

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
  • Love my Sample Slabs
Re: Sample slabs
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 04:35:28 PM »
Sample slab collecting is in my opinion becoming a new and exciting part of numismatics.
Sample Slab are given out at coin shows by TPG for free, to the public to show everyone what the next generation coin holder will look like.
There is also another type that are given out to dealers only, They are the best samples of all. It in not uncommon to see a Morgan or peace dollar in a sample slab.or other very nice coin as well. The ones handed out at shows hold a more common coin such as a Roosevelt dime, Some samples can be made in the hundreds or even a little as 25, given out to special members or for a certain function.
But one thing I know for sure they allways seem to end up on auction sites and some are very expensive. Even the more common slabs given out in the mid eighty's are becoming expensive. As I am sure many of you have see, the older holders look allot different than the ones of todays. Sample slabs can and do hold some very nice coins. I have just recently come into a sample the was made in a lot of only 110 With 35 given out here and 25 given out there. Imagine owning a slab knowing there only 24 more like it, it can be very exciting.I hope this has given you a small peek into the world of sample slabs. If you click on my signature line it will take you to the article I write on this subject. I hope I have done a OK job at explaining a subject that is a little hard to sum up in a post. I hope you all enjoyed it.
Alan
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 05:43:54 PM by acan451 »