Author Topic: OFF TOPIC...........or is it?  (Read 2112 times)

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
OFF TOPIC...........or is it?
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:51:44 AM »
My Florida license plate was scheduled for renewal. I wanted to get a different personalized plate to honor my Mom & Dad so instead of going online to renew my old personalized plate, 9BAWL, I opted to go to the Tag Office to see what was available. Florida has more than 70 specialty plates in addition to the 2 standard plates.

There are certain limitations to the number of characters you can use. Some of the specialty plates have a left-side logo for such things as the USMC insignia, US ARMY, Florida Gators, Florida State Seminoles, etc. This style of plate can only accommodate 5 characters. Another style of specialty plate has a centered logo which can accommodate up to 6 characters with one or two spaces. The standard plates can accommodate up to 7 characters or 6 characters with one or two spaces.

Anyway, the clerk was kind enough to take the time to go through all of the different options that were available to me, and I finally decided that I could use "DEC 6 41" with two spaces. That was the day that Mom & Dad got married.

Now, it was time to choose which specialty plate would be appropriate. A sample plate of each of the different designs is mounted on a 20' wall behind the counter. The clerk waited patiently as I browsed through all of the samples. The Heart logo for medical research? No! The Apple logo for teachers? No. The Manatee logo for "Save the Manatee"? No. I've already used the Everglades logo, the Challenger logo and the Orlando Magic logo. Those were out. I was about ready to give up. The only thing I hadn't considered were the two standard Florida plates that were mounted in the bottom corner at the very end of the wall. As I was turning to go back to the beginning, I glanced at the standard plates and I stopped dead in my tracks. There it was! The perfect plate to honor Mom & Dad which also gave recognition for something I have enjoyed for more than 5 decades.

Chris

The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: OFF TOPIC...........or is it?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »
First of all.......over here there is no such thing as OFF Topic Happy(*)

Secondly...........I love the new plate design and aint it great when things fall into place :party:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:24:50 PM by coinsarefun »

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:19:29 PM »
That because you're such a rare breed. Stef!

Chris

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:17:44 AM »
What a wonderful way to honor your parents. My sister gave me a teddy bear for my birthday. Even though I am 73 years

old, I do happen to collect teddy bears. This bear is from F.A.O, Schwartz and sice I have no grandchild named after my late

father, I had to name the bear Sidney. I hope dad doesn't mind me naming a bear after him, but my intentions were loving.

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 08:24:56 AM »
 :Beatingheart; (hail)) :3dancingsmiley;

Chris