Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Very nice piece with great colors
I'm loving this new toned coin.......tough to find a nice looking Leopold :))

US Coins, tokens and medals / Knoxville Tennessee Coin Show, Feb 6-7, 2015
« Last post by VDB Coins on January 30, 2015, 06:30:04 AM »

51st Annual Coin Show, 2015, Knoxville, Tennessee. Practically right next door to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, a great place for a winter outing.

Rothchild Catering at Baron Place
8807 Kingston Pike, Knoxville TN 37923

Friday, Feb. 6, 10 am-6 pm
Saturday, Feb. 7, 9 am-5 pm.

Public admitted FREE. Great show, 25 dealers, 30-40 tables. This year the show is in the FRONT MAIN BUILDING, not the rear building. Better lighting and more inviting.

We are NOT the organizers but do have a table, hope to see you there! Come by, say hi, don't be shy, and make a buy.

Sponsored by the Fort Loudon and Smoky Mountain Coin Clubs.

Who's in? Hope to see you there.

Best Regards,  :)

George
Thanks for sharing, rrantique. I did the same thing, bought a few each of the high relief clad, the 4-piece silver sets, and the gold Kennedys as well. I think they are a fantastic shot in the arm for a series that is already popular. However, PCGS chose not to include the coins in the Complete Variety Registry Set, a move that I consider simply stupid. While one might argue that including the gold Kennedys might discourage some collectors (and that is certainly true, as they are not cheap containing 3/4 ounce of gold), but I can see no justification for not putting in the special-finish 2014 silver issues. How are they different from the 1998 SMS (which was available only in the two-coin commemorative Robert Kennedy dollar//JFK half dollar set from the Mint) and the later Satin Finish coins, all of which are in the Complete Variety Registry Set?

PCGS includes them all only in various Commemorative Registry  Sets.  :'( I think this tends to dampen demand for them as well. PCGS might have made this clear before we spent so much money on them. I am not feeling the love.

Oh. BTW. Regarding a Vibrant Coin Market, have you taken a look at the Partrick Colonials? A 1792 Birch cent in MS65 Star Red and Brown NGC -- that's crazy! The bid is currently $1.5 million plus 17.5 buyer's premium -- more than $1.7 million! And he has an incredible number of other fantastic Colonials up in Heritage's FUN auction as well. I see where Heritage put out a press release saying they had sold nearly $1 billion between all of their different venues -- sports, coins, Hollywood, luxury vintage handbags, and so on. But U.S. coins was the leader of all of them, of course, at $334 million. So it looks like the coin market is doing Pretty Well, despite a down year for precious metals.

But at any rate I wish all of you here a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous 2015 and wish Stefanie a continued speedy recovery!

Best Regards,  [url=http://www.freesmileys.or

George
It occurs to me that next year is the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy half as well, a series I call the "Morgan dollars of the 21st century" although they are actually six years longer than the Morgan dollars already. (!) I wrote an article on my website about the series under "Collectors' Guides" that points up the many similarities between the two series. With the 50-year anniversary approaching, I think some of the 1964-after issues will, in the next few years, stop being perceived as "modern junk" or "modern" at all, but rather part of the classic series. In particular, I point out the 1964 SMS  (NB, not 1965-67) coins which are among the rarest coins from the second half of the twentieth century. We have bought and sold quite a few individual pieces and complete sets, and have done much research in this area. When they started appearing in the Stack's auctions beginning in 1993, they were not in any official Mint packaging, just clear plastic capsules. The pieces are easily distinguished because they are business strike dies that were all polished roughly and haphazardly, then struck multiple times like a proof, so they show far more detail than any business strike but have a satiny, scarcely reflective (usually) surface unlike proofs (and to my eyes not resembling much the 1965-67 SMS coins, even though Stack's theorized they were experiments for that coinage). Anyway, not all of the sets contained the "real deal" halves (especially) and quarters, so authentication is required. I believe that all the coins are rare, but the halves more so than the other series. I think only 12-15 examples of the half survive. The dimes seem to be the most plentiful. The half in our Registry Set is MS67 PCGS (now they use to SP prefix), a coin we acquired about three years ago. Prices have more than doubled since I acquired my piece, and even then practically all of the sales are private transactions at prices that would astound most readers. The 1964 SMS coins are another area of the "modern" coin market that is going to become more and more interesting as time goes on. I would be extremely interested to hear from anyone who has now, has owned in the past, or knows of examples for sale or at auction. Since I am attempting to complete a roster of all five denominations I would particularly like to know the NGC/PCGS certification numbers and grades. Prices realized are nice but completely optional. Per VDB coins  George. I agree and I followed up on these in 2014 buying annual proof and mint set Kennedys the 50th anniversary set in high relief. (the silver set is great)

For Education and Promotion of Toned Coins / Re: Lets see some nice toned coins
« Last post by coinsarefun on October 21, 2014, 11:35:33 PM »
Beautiful toners posted....love them

World and Ancient Coins, Conder tokens and medals / Re: Ancient "Art"
« Last post by coinsarefun on October 21, 2014, 11:34:32 PM »
Outstanding  :party:

World and Ancient Coins, Conder tokens and medals / Re: Ancient "Art"
« Last post by Newmismatist on October 01, 2014, 12:04:23 AM »
A few Pretty Ladies  :)

World and Ancient Coins, Conder tokens and medals / Ancient "Art"
« Last post by Newmismatist on October 01, 2014, 12:02:30 AM »
Hercules wrestling the Nemean Lion (The first of his 10 Labors)

For Education and Promotion of Toned Coins / Re: Lets see some nice toned coins
« Last post by Newmismatist on September 30, 2014, 11:56:40 PM »
Jiffy Jefferson

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10