Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
We recently got back from the regional Blue Ridge Numismatic Association show where we had a record year! This is always a great show, more than 400 dealers on 300 tables, and like most shows, most of the sales were at the wholesale or dealer-to-dealer levels. But we were really cheered to see that collectors were buying as well! They were opening their wallets for nice collector coins. Sure, they are price-sensitive, but who isn't? Still, nice coins, priced right, were selling in good quantity. Other dealers nearby were also seeing good sales volumes, as far as I saw. And the important point is one I have made earlier in this thread, this is all despite the silver and gold bullion prices being in the doldrums! We bought one supernice coin at wholesale, a great-looking 1820 Small Date cent  with the encircling die crack, one of the Randall Hoard varieties, in MS64 Brown PCGS-CAC with great luster, and it didn't even make it back home with us!

More sales of the Newman and Gene Gardner collections are on tap the next few months at Heritage, plus of course the monster Pogue Collection sales set later for Stack's. We believe that the U.S. economy is definitely on the uptick, and our show experience confirms that! Time to buy some coins y'all!

Best Regards,  :)

George
Love your collection [url=http://www.freesmileys.or
My newest addition to my electrotype set. Its a little rough but I haven't seen another and only heard of one or two more supposedly around.

Imaged by Mark Goodman and with his great images you can see how an electrotype looks, even though somewhat crude.
This is the closest I will come to owning one and very proud of it. Its on its way out to me very soon.

Its been a fantastic, intriguing and educating trip along the way collecting and assembling a nice collection of these. I never thought
of myself even remotely interested in collecting early copper.....let alone contemporary electrotypes. But I just couldn't resist the history and beauty behind great
Early American Coppers,'so this was an excellent alternative for me.

I know that there are many members here that frown upon them and even more quietly collect and study them. Some members are just not sure what they ares
so I decided to post my newest addition and an article that was in CoiinWeek magazine online written by Mark Ferguson Link is here regarding electrotypes.
He references the 1804 Dollar but he explaining the process very well.

First is the article posted below followed by my Myddleton token.

And here is my newest addition.

The rest of my collection:

Photography / Super Moon tonite
« Last post by rrantique on July 12, 2014, 11:40:20 PM »
Numismatic Resources / New "Essential" Red Book from Whitman
« Last post by mmarotta on July 08, 2014, 12:48:49 PM »
Whitman has issued a pared-down, large format, "bookzine" edition of the Guide Book of United States Coins by Yeoman and Bressett. It is intended for the novice collector, the person newest to American coins, perhaps attracted to the State Parks quarters, or having inherited a collection, needs to start "somewhere." If you are an active collector and have a Red Book - just one? - this is not the book for you. However, this is a great gift. The large 8-1/2 x 11 format allows big pictures and big type.

The front matter narrative is essentially the same as the Red Book you know. The large type makes it seem less formidable.

The focus here is entirely on US Federal. Pre-federal and colonial issues get only a nod. More attention goes to Nova Constellatio and Fugio coppers, and the Coins of 1792. Merchant tokens, Hard Times Tokens, Civil War Tokens, and Pioneer Gold have been removed.

Whitman editor and publisher Dennis Tucker told me that the idea for this edition came from big box retailers who wanted something that they could put in a magazine rack. I have to admit that everyone goes through the checkout lanes. We all pretty much agree that we want to advance and extend the hobby. This is an excellent way to achieve that.
Photography / Re: Wallpapers for your desktop
« Last post by rrantique on July 04, 2014, 12:27:43 PM »
« Last post by rrantique on June 07, 2014, 11:49:52 AM »
Awesome [url=http://www.freesmileys.or
« Last post by coinsarefun on June 07, 2014, 10:59:03 AM »
here are a few of my newest.

« Last post by coinsarefun on June 07, 2014, 10:57:58 AM »
Very nice Irvin.