What is the primary reason you collect coins?

Back
  • What is the primary reason you collect coins?   by bear on 19 Jan, 2010 16:47
  • If you have an additional reason please specify it in a response.
  • Reply #1   by Zantetsuken on 19 Jan, 2010 17:22
  • Hi 'bear'. I collect coins because I always enjoyed world history. I sometimes buy coins from key points in history or under certain rulers. I mainly collect coins from Eastern Europe and Russia because of the drastic changes they have gone through. And to be honest if I make a profit in the future from this, that's a nice bonus but it's not my prime reason. For example, I have a Greek coin I bought about 15 years at $40 USD, today that same coin goes for $1,500 USD.

~Daniel
  • Reply #2   by Billy Kingsley on 19 Jan, 2010 17:34
  • I collect because I love history, and collecting coins is one way I can own a small piece of that history.

I don't sell any coins, so profit means nothing to me, and neither does worrying about numeric grades. I don't collect graded coins so being competitive is also not a factor.

You could also say that the love of beutiful coins (what I voted for), the pack rat at heart, and the escape from the stresses of everyday life combined is also a part.

For me, I do keep everything in a particular order, and keep very detailed records, but I find that as a fun side effect, not the main objective.
  • Reply #3   by Zantetsuken on 19 Jan, 2010 18:57
  • I collect because I love history, and collecting coins is one way I can own a small piece of that history.

I don't sell any coins, so profit means nothing to me, and neither does worrying about numeric grades. I don't collect graded coins so being competitive is also not a factor.

You could also say that the love of beutiful coins (what I voted for), the pack rat at heart, and the escape from the stresses of everyday life combined is also a part.

For me, I do keep everything in a particular order, and keep very detailed records, but I find that as a fun side effect, not the main objective.

I collect coins for their beauty as well. For example here's a specimen from Siberia that I find beautiful for it's design and toning.

~Daniel

SIBERIA~ 10 Kopek 1777
  • Reply #4   by coinsarefun on 19 Jan, 2010 19:28

• I collect coins for their beauty as well. For example here's a specimen from Siberia that I find beautiful for it's design and toning.

~Daniel

SIBERIA~ 10 Kopek 1777
    [/quote]

Oh my............did you see the 1776 Uncirculated at the last Spink's auction?
    I was soooo mad I was watching it for weeks and forgot :smack; :smack; :(
  • Reply #5   by coinsarefun on 19 Jan, 2010 19:29
  • If you have an additional reason please specify it in a response.

All the above :ThumbsUp;
  • Reply #6   by bear on 19 Jan, 2010 19:34
  • I WOULD TEND TO AGREE. a LITTLE BIT OF ALL THE ABOVE WOULD SEEM ABOUT RIGHT.
    Sorry left my cap key locked.....silly me!
  • Reply #7   by Zantetsuken on 19 Jan, 2010 19:36

• [/quote]
    Oh my............did you see the 1776 Uncirculated at the last Spink's auction?
    [/quote]

Ouch! That must have hurt. Sorry you missed out on this.
  • Reply #8   by coinsarefun on 19 Jan, 2010 19:46

• Oh my............did you see the 1776 Uncirculated at the last Spink's auction?
    [/quote]

Ouch! That must have hurt. Sorry you missed out on this.
    [/quote]

Ya, I'm still said about that one :'(
  • Reply #9   by FilthyBroke on 19 Jan, 2010 20:02
  • I answered 'for the love of beautiful coins', but there are a few other factors.  I need a hobby to occupy my mind and free time, and I do have a 'collector's mentality'.  I have always collected something - stamps, trading cards, etc., but only now have I found an outlet that doesn't just take my cash.  Coins have caused me to study history, and learn much more than I had imagined.  Oh, and the fact that I can sell at a minimal loss is nice, too. ;D

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Go to page: