Grade this 1 para - Montenegro 1906

Back
  • Grade this 1 para - Montenegro 1906   by Deagle74 on 22 Jan, 2010 07:23
  • Hi all!

This is not (jet) my coin - and these are the sellers pics. It's a very nice Montenegro para from 1906 (200.000 minted) - you can get them in unc condition - but I believe this must be one of the nicest examples out there. I saw one sold on Heritage for 79$, graded by NGC 64 MS RD. Can this baby beat this - could this one be MS 65 or even MS66?? Is there a possibility to get this grade f. e. from PCGS. You all have lots of PCGS submissions (i have never submitt a coin for grading).

I will appreciate your opinion??

Thanx, Rok

P.S.
    Oh yes - the seller asks 80€, (approx. 112$), and I believe this is a bit pricey.
  • Reply #1   by Zantetsuken on 22 Jan, 2010 08:51
  • Hi all!

This is not (jet) my coin - and these are the sellers pics. It's a very nice Montenegro para from 1906 (200.000 minted) - you can get them in unc condition - but I believe this must be one of the nicest examples out there. I saw one sold on Heritage for 79$, graded by NCG 64 MS RD. Can this baby beat this - could this one be MS 65 or even MS66?? Is there a possibility to get this grade f. e. from PCGS. You all have lots of PCGS submissions (i have never submitt a coin for grading).

I will appreciate your opinion??

Thanx, Rok

P.S.
    Oh yes - the seller asks 80€, (approx. 112$), and I believe this is a bit pricey.

Hi 'Deagle', welcome aboard. It's often difficult to give grading from photos and I'm not an expert on grading, but this indeed a beautiful looking coin and would rank a BU (my opinion only). Krause's catalog only lists Unc and BU (Brilliant Uncirculated). Unc. lists for $90 USD, while BU doesn't show a price. This being said, 80 EU ($112 USD) is not so unreasonable, but this is just my opinion. You should, however, have a professional grade this to get a better idea. PCGS and others do alot of splitting hairs with grading (MS-64, MS-65 etc.). These grades are typically used for U.S. coins, and is a bit over my head when determining this. I hope this helped. Good luck.

~Daniel.
  • Reply #2   by Deagle74 on 22 Jan, 2010 10:54
  • Thank you Daniel, you are probably right.

Here is a link to specimen from Heritage auction - graded MS64 - this may help.

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=69091&Lot_No=61164

Thanx, Rok
  • Reply #3   by Zantetsuken on 22 Jan, 2010 11:07
  • Thank you Daniel, you are probably right.

Here is a link to specimen from Heritage auction - graded MS64 - this may help.

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=69091&Lot_No=61164

Thanx, Rok

Thanks for the link Rok. In all honesty, I don't know if the MS-64 and MS-65 are legitimate grades, or just a handjob to get more money. Maybe it's a little of both. In any case, I go simply go by XF, AU or Unc. for the higher grades. It's simpler that way. Again this is just my opinion.

~Daniel.
  • Reply #4   by mmarotta on 28 Sep, 2010 16:01
  • I am interested in the legend
    k?ashevina Shrna Gora -- is that right? 

CRNA GORA is the modern name for Montenegro, so I assume this means
    "Kingdom of White Mountain."

I am pretty good at languages, but this has me stumped.
  • Reply #5   by coinsarefun on 28 Sep, 2010 17:12
  • I'm going to have to agree with Daniel here.
    It appears, in the images to be about  BU.....IMO :)

Nice coin :ThumbsUp;
  • Reply #6   by BCNumismatics on 02 Oct, 2010 21:30
  • I am interested in the legend
    k?ashevina Shrna Gora -- is that right? 

CRNA GORA is the modern name for Montenegro, so I assume this means

Mike,
      Montenegro was a principality prior to 1910,when Prince Nicholas became King Nicholas I of Montenegro.

In both Montenegrin & Serbian,the word for 'Prince' is 'Knyaz',& 'King' is 'Kral'.

Have a read here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_I_of_Montenegro .

Aidan.
  • Reply #7   by Deagle74 on 03 Oct, 2010 03:09

• CRNA GORA is the modern name for Montenegro, so I assume this means

crna = negro = black (not white)
  • Reply #8   by BCNumismatics on 03 Oct, 2010 16:13
  • Rok,
      The name 'Montenegro' is in itself derived from either Italian or the Venetian language.

Aidan.

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Go to page: