Author Topic: Certified coins one drawback  (Read 5187 times)

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Certified coins one drawback
« on: August 12, 2009, 03:50:19 PM »
One downside of certified coins(and there are others) is the display or viewing of multiple coins.

The only format I have seen for "easy" album display has been the Eagle nine slab holders. This presentation just does not do justice to the coins. In addition the holders themselves are often a distraction to the coin and truly do not compliment or hence the visual appeal.

The current design size of the third party grading holders is somewhat akin to the packaging size of DVDs or compact disc in that it may have use for marketing or reduction of theft in a commercial venue but really are not designed with the end owner in mind.

It would be a bold, and likely profitable, move of the one of the major third party graders to do a radical redesign based on presentation of the coin in a manner that is both less distracting to the individual coin and allows a more aesthetically pleasing presentation of groups of coins.

A holder that is perhaps a tad larger than half a centimeter or somewhere around quarter of an inch or so. This would not only create more options for display of the coins, but would reduce the distraction of the holder itself.

There are other issues that follow along with a radical redesign of holders, some positive and others negative. I feel  this would overall present more opportunities for the grading companies and the sellers than any negatives it would create.

The greatest downside I see is that with the great number of coins sold on the internet it would mean the prominent display of the assigned grades, meaning the "advertising aspect" of these labels would be reduced, especially for sellers that have poor  photographic capabilities. However, this would also promote better photos of the certified coins as well as buyers/collectors would be more pron ed to buying the coin more so than the label.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:53:25 PM by walmann »

Interested in world coins 1912,1917,1936,1937,1951,1960,1988,2008,2009