Author Topic: Scripophily -- Stocks and Bonds  (Read 2561 times)

Offline mmarotta

• Full Collector
  • Karma +2/-0
  • "There's a blaze of light in every word..."
    • Necessary Facts
Scripophily -- Stocks and Bonds
« on: September 03, 2009, 08:57:04 PM »
Large and ornate, these hallmarks of economic history tell tales of investment, profit and loss.  Like other numismatic collectibles, these can be pursued many ways.  Railroads, Automotives, and Aviation, Disney and Microsoft are hot items.  Nineteenth issues naturally command more premium than 20th.  Liking the thrill of the hunt, and the promise of serendipity, I buy them in lots of 100 for 50 cents each.  (And see the same ones  in the coin stores for $3 each.) At coin shows, I will go $1 each for ones that I want for my collection.

Myself, I read the endorsements.  I look for famous old capitalist enterprises like US Steel, but mostly for famous old stockbrokers and investors.  I have a Pan American Airways owned by L. F. Rothschild and cleared by Smith Barney.  I have Bache before Prudential and Kidder before Peabody. ... Merill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner and Smith ...  Paine, Webber, Jackson & Curtis ...  Bear Stearns....

Even the old ones, when you scan them, reveal hidden security features similar to modern banknotes.

Then, there is the mystery...  Alexander King was an illustrator and author of the 1940s-1950s.  He was famous in his day for his New Yorker covers.  In my childhood his autobiography, Mine Enemy Grows Older, was a Book-of-the-Month Club selection.  I found a stock certificate owned by one "Alexander King."  Was it the author?  I like to think so.

I assembled a "Monopoly Set" of the four railroads from the board game.  I have several different Edison companies, so now all I need is a Water Works. 

Everyone likes vignettes.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:07:14 PM by mmarotta »

Mike M.
------------------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
ANA                                                      MSNS  
http://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------