Author Topic: Advertising Paper  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
Advertising Paper
« on: September 20, 2009, 11:26:15 PM »
While coins (described in my term as metal disks, not nessicarily the true meaning of coins) have been used for advertising for many years, and are quite well known, paper has been used for advertising as well.

This note, came with an interesting story. I am a car guy....numismatics does not rank #1 for me, automotive pursuits do. So, when I saw this that combined them, I had to have it. I have known and done buisness with the seller of this note for years, and when I bought it from him, he told me the story behind it. Richfield was a gas company, not unlike Mobil or Citgo or Sunoco, etc. They were too sure of themselves, and they apparently printed up millions of these....it was too much. While it doesn't reflect it on the note, I was told that presenting these at the Richfield station would get you a discount on your gas purchase. So many people did that, that it forced Richfield out of buisness! They printed so many of these, that they could no longer make a profit on gasoline sales.

The man I bought it from had a stack of them, probably about 20, as uncirculated as the day they were made. I bought this one, at a cost of $2.

Again, the note is washed out. My new computer does not work right with my scanner, and I have to manually adjust the colors. It appears I did not adjust these scans correctly!
Richfield a

Richfield b

This is likely the only time in my life I will be able to own a million dollar bill!

Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!