« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:05:37 PM by bear »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Let us talk about the Coin Market overall
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 07:58:11 PM »
Very good points!!

1)  I didn't know it was a soft market for Barbers and Liberty Seated material.
I have been waiting for this to happen and now have a quest :)

2)
Finally some advice from an old timer that has nade just about all the mistakes a collector can make

before I finally saw the light. Be very picky and demanding in the coins you buy. Collect what ever

grade you can afford but be sure that the coin is really PQ for the grade. This means a good strike,

even wear, no distracting marks, a nice natural color and free of edge damage , dings, scratches ect.

Be patient untill just the right coin comes along. Generally unless you are just overwhelmed by the coin

when you first see it, do not buy it. So so coins never get lovelier over time.

Truer words have never been spoken...............I learned this lesson the hard way.....but I did learn.

3)
Lastly, collect what you want and enjoy what you collect. Never let a snob look down on your

collection because it is inexpensive

I have been lucky and have never let anyone influence me. I have had very prominent high end
collectors PM me ATS and tell me........you could have done better, return that coin and look for something else. But IMO I thought it was a beautiful coin and just because it was inexpensive does not make it undesirable. And I have been right because many people have wanted to purchase the very same coins :)