Author Topic: '  (Read 1970 times)

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
'
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:40:20 PM »
Why has stamp collecting seemed to have died and coin collecting is still roaring along.
Your thoughts on this conundrum.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 06:55:51 PM by bear »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Something that has really puzzled me about coin vrs stamp collecting
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:45:09 PM »
Never got into stamps so I can't answer that question.
But I can say this though.............I rather hold a rare metal (gold, silver) in my
hand than paper. This may explain why I don't collect paper money either :HMMMMM;

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 07:49:15 PM »
Good question.... I have spent a little time looking at stamps, in fact I had a modest stamp collection as a kid.  I think that for me, I wouldn't spend the money knowing now how little interest there seems to be in case I decide to sell.  There are some very interesting stamp designs, and if I had a collecting buddy I could see myself picking something up. 

In answer to your question though, I have no idea. :)
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 08:11:04 PM »
I don't know. I have a small collection of both, but in number wise, I probably have more stamps then coins, even though I like coins more. It probably doesn't hurt that my mom used to save every single stamp off of every single letter, and gave them to me.

One thing, I think, is that stamps are more easily damaged. I know you have to be carefull with coins too, but if you pick up a coin, you won't bend it. If you loose power, and thus A/C in the summer, you don't have to worry about your coins becoming stuck togther forever, and such.

I like stamps, at least the ones I have, and I realize that if I decided to spend what little hobby money I actually got in stamps instead of my other hobbies, I could get more "bang for my buck", meaning, I could aquire a higher number and a higher book value issue...but I can't do it. I just don't enjoy them enough to spend my money on them and not other hobbies.
Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 08:22:35 PM »
It probably doesn't hurt that my mom used to save every single stamp off of every single letter, and gave them to me.

That's kind of how I started collecting stamps.  My Grandmother traveled a lot, and sent me stamps or saved the ones she thought I'd like. I was eight or nine at the time, and was fascinated by the different designs.  I still have the collection (somewhere), maybe I'll go and try to dig them up. :)
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html