Author Topic: DANGER -- A word to the wise is sufficient ; )  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
DANGER -- A word to the wise is sufficient ; )
« on: February 02, 2010, 10:07:54 PM »

While I am not a scientist, I have listened to recent news reports about the dangerous levels of lead contained in PVC-laden products.  While the initial report I saw dealt with women's purses and the potential danger to fetuses, the extent of the list of PVC-laden products mentioned made me think of coins and soft vinyl flips.  I imagine we all have some soft vinyl flips.

I'd be especially mindful if one is of of child-bearing age.  One especially nasty fact about PVC is that the lead, cadmium or other metal added as a stabilizer tends to leech out, never actually bonding with the plastic used.  We've known about PVC residue on coins,; now it makes more sense and it's not difficult to understand the obvious danger to humans.

I'd use washable gloves when handling soft vinyl flips or coins removed from soft vinyl flips.

At the worst, given my past experience with flips, i'd guess that the coin collecting community has suffered some health problems as a result of soft vinyl flips and plastic 2x2 pages, basically pages for slides from cameras.

Be careful out there.  : )

I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: DANGER -- A word to the wise is sufficient ; )
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:08:59 PM »
Another reason to use mylar products, no pvc no lead, safer both the collector and coins.
Interested in world coins 1912,1917,1936,1937,1951,1960,1988,2008,2009

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
DANGER -- A word to the wise is sufficient ; ).
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:56:54 AM »
Larry & Walmann,
  Has anyone bought anything from http://www.brent-krueger.com ?

I am seriously thinking about getting my coins into some flips,& long boxes with dividers for each country.

Who has used this system for their coins & currency tokens?

What system do you use for storing your banknotes? Albums are just too much hassle,especially for a country that has issued a lot of banknotes,such as Zimbabwe.

I've currently got my notes & postal orders in individual plastic sleeves,& in the bottom of 2 Filemaster cardboard document boxes.

Aidan.

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: DANGER -- A word to the wise is sufficient ; )
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:40:42 AM »
I have purchased from Brent -Krueger and they are an efficient company. However, the only products I have purchased from them have been Mylar flips and intercept shield storeage boxes.

Not really a collector of currency or notes, despite having inherited a few, so I am unable to address alternate storeage methods as the collection I have easily fits within two albums.
Interested in world coins 1912,1917,1936,1937,1951,1960,1988,2008,2009

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
DANGER -- A word to the wise is sufficient ; ).
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 03:59:04 PM »
Larry & Walmann,
  It's a shame that there isn't a Brent Krueger-type supplier over here in New Zealand.If there was,I would have started looking at what I am searching for,& started buying my coin flips,boxes,& dividers by now.

Aidan.