Author Topic: If you could start all over again with collecting  (Read 3008 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
If you could start all over again with collecting
« on: July 26, 2009, 01:12:16 PM »
With the knowledge that you have now.

How would your collection change?
What would you do differently?

Or, are you happy with the way your collection has evolved and wouldn't change a thing?

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
Re: If you could start all over again with collecting
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 08:23:36 PM »
Being a history nut, I think I would still collect European Commemoratives from the 17th to the 20th century.
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:12:48 PM »
I would not have left collecting for some 25 plus years. Would have concentrated on 18th and 19th Century US and World coins. Perhaps weighted more towards the world coins.
Interested in world coins 1912,1917,1936,1937,1951,1960,1988,2008,2009

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 07:01:22 PM »
Oh, I threw away some money in the beginning (two or three years ago), but that's part of learning the hobby I guess.  I also sold a few early on that I now regret, but I'm learning how to recognize the ones I think I'll miss. It's a growing process, I think, and you just have to work into it and take your bumps.
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline darktone

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 05:50:10 PM »
I think I would collect stuff I liked under $200 only. This hobby can really be just as enjoyable without spending a lot money. :)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »
I think I would collect stuff I liked under $200 only. This hobby can really be just as enjoyable without spending a lot money. :)

I couldn't agree more!

You can have just as much appreciation for history and what that coin represents
without spending an arm or leg to have it :)

Offline Scottishmoney

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • Scottish Coinage and Beauties on Banknotes
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 06:21:59 PM »
Back when I started out as about a 9-10 year old, or was it before?, I tended to buy stuff with no research, and I got ripped off several times.  I tend to do a lot more reading and researching than actual collecting now, but still manage to acquire awesome and significant pieces - many of which I keep privately.

I keep some of the junque I bought then, like the VFish 1723 Hibernia Halfpenny as a reminder to research and know what you are buying.  I bought the thing from a B&M back when I was 14 or so for $50, which was about $30 too much for it.  I bought it because of the really old date more than anything else.  Now I have coins much much older than that that I enjoy much more because I know what I bought.

Offline RICKC300

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 10:37:13 PM »
I wouldn't change much, I would still collect the German Empire, Weimar Republic and the Third Reich coinage of Germany. But I would have focused more attention on my current VF or better standard for additions to my collection instead of just filling a void in my date/mint set. I would have also backed up my Excel program just in case my computer fried like mine did a few months ago, causing the loss of all of my mintage figures, dates and mints of items collected, price paid and auction figures for other items sold on the main Internet venues. The lack of my program is making me look at my actual collection of coins to see if a nice coin is actually needed or is an upgrade to my collection... Maybe the 'puter frying wasn't all bad! I have looked at more of the coins residing in my collection during the last month or so than I probably have in the last couple of years or would have looked at in the next couple of years to come! Hands on definitely beats a spread sheet. I guess my grading standards have also evolved over the years, no longer what I wish but more of what it really is... I wonder how many nice coins I passed on because of what Excel told me from years ago before I really got serious about grading my collection in reality.

Back it up, grade it accurately and remember to just have fun doing it! That is what I would change I guess if I could start over!
Rick

Offline Wil2008

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 10:55:59 PM »
I have been collecting for about 2 1/2 years and really enjoy the aspect that the coins are like little works of art that tell a story.  I am basically a type collector, US coins, in circulated condition, and always wonder what the story is behind every coin i add to my type set.

I obtained a 1810 50C O-101a ( BELOW ) and for a long time I sat looking at it, wondering who may have used this coin, what was their story. You never know whose hands these little gems passed through. 

I don't have a lot to spend yearly on my collection, so I don't worry about those big dollar coins. They are fun to look and awe at, but I like my humble little ones a bit more.     :)

Wil
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 01:27:27 PM by Wil2008 »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 11:07:27 PM »
I have been collecting for about 2 1/2 years and really enjoy the aspect that the coins are like little works of art that tell a story.  I am basically a type collector, US coins, in circulated condition, and always wonder what the story is behind every coin i add to my type set.

I obtained a 1810 50C O-101a ( BELOW ) and for a long time I sat looking at it, wondering who may have used this coin, what was their story. You never know whose hands these little gems passed through. 

I don't have a lot to spend yearly on my collection, so I don't worry about those big dollar coins. They are fun to look and awe at, but I like my humble little ones a bit more.     :)

Wil

Welcome to the forum Wil, nice coin!

Stefanie