Author Topic: If you could start all over again with collecting  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: If you could start all over again with collecting
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 10:31:23 AM »
Welcome to coinsarefun, Wil2008.  ;D

That's nice half with its apparent blue toning.

I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 09:20:47 PM »
For me, the biggest thing I would change is that I would start collecting sooner. I only started last year, and I was already 23 years old by the time I started collecting. (I'll be 25 in less then a month). Before last year, the only thing I collected regularly was State Quarters, and whatever Canadians I got in change. Now, as of last year, I have truly started to collect, and I'm loving every minute of it! I wish I had started sooner.

One thing I would like to change, is that I would like to have more "disposable income"; I live on a very limited amount, so I don't get to add new additions all that often. For example, I just bought 6 new Indian cents, a Hawaii $1 note and a Red Seal $2 last weekend. Before that, I got the 2009 Silver Proof set in August. Before THAT, I hadn't added anything new to my collection since March. So, even though I don't have a lot of money and thus, a lot of new purchases, I spend a lot of time reading. I am subscribed to the ANA publication, WorldWide Coins, and I visit now 4 message boards. I will also occasionally pick up a copy of Paper Money Values, CoinAge or Coins.
Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!

Offline bear

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 12:08:56 AM »
If I was to start over knowing what I do now, I would bring more order

and purpose to my collection instead of trying ro collect everything. I would

learn to grade for myself instead of believing what was written on the coin holder.

I would be more selective and patient selecting a coin to purchase. I would make

a greater effort to locate those dealers that were fair and willing to educate my

understanding of coins.