Author Topic: Why don't sellers inform you....  (Read 4225 times)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Why don't sellers inform you....
« on: February 24, 2010, 06:23:31 AM »
Why don't (some) sellers inform you of issues (such as cleaning) when selling online?  Well, I guess that some do, but I know of some who don't.  If the buyer has only a picture to go by, you would think that more information provided about the surfaces would be better.  Just list any suspicions of old cleanings or hairlines, it would save everyone a lot of trouble. 

I have ordered coins only to find out that the lighting on their photographs was hiding something.  No big deal, except that it wastes time and postage to return it.  I'm sure you've all seen this happen, and find it a little annoying.  I have a mental list of these guys, and would think twice before ordering from them again.  But why sell this way?  They must have many issues with returns, and with dissapointed customers.

Just my thoughts for the day.... :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:19:39 AM by FilthyBroke »

please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Why don't sellers inform you....
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 07:01:37 AM »
Filthy, the sellers could care less about you. They just want to try and unload their problem coins on the first sucker that bites. Any time you buy raw coins on eBay, you are taking a risk. Before you bid on any one of them, you should be asking yourself, "If there is nothing wrong with this coin, why isn't it already in a slab?" Even if you ask the seller if it has been cleaned before you bid, the majority of the time they will either lie or they know absolutely nothing about coins in the first place. My advice is to steer clear of raw coins unless you know the seller. The money you waste on postage is a big deal because it adds to the gross cost of all of your purchases, combined.

Chris
The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:10:16 AM »
Oh, I know the crapshoot that Ebay is, far too well.  I am talking about more prominent sellers, ones with websites and reputations.  A lot of coins that I look at aren't ones that PCGS will slab, and I'm not sure about NGC.  I don't fully subscribe to the notion that all coins were deemed submittable, I think that there are still tons of coins that haven't gone that avenue yet.  But that's another thread topic altogether. :)

I'm talking mainly about sellers with stores and websites, ones that use misleading pics to cover problems that you can easily pick out with the coin in-hand.  On Ebay, I fully expect this.  But not from larger, better-known dealers.

Offline Scottishmoney

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • Scottish Coinage and Beauties on Banknotes
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:23:33 AM »
fleaBay, well enough said.  I stopped selling on there two years ago, and bidding over a year ago. 

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Why don't sellers inform you....
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 04:34:23 AM »
fleaBay, well enough said.  I stopped selling on there two years ago, and bidding over a year ago.

David,
  FleeceBay IS a massive scam anyway! It is a 100 Trillion ton gorilla that needs to be put down anyway!

Aidan.

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 07:19:20 AM »
Oh, I know the crapshoot that Ebay is, far too well.  I am talking about more prominent sellers, ones with websites and reputations.  A lot of coins that I look at aren't ones that PCGS will slab, and I'm not sure about NGC.  I don't fully subscribe to the notion that all coins were deemed submittable, I think that there are still tons of coins that haven't gone that avenue yet.  But that's another thread topic altogether. :)

I'm talking mainly about sellers with stores and websites, ones that use misleading pics to cover problems that you can easily pick out with the coin in-hand.  On Ebay, I fully expect this.  But not from larger, better-known dealers.

Without naming names, there are some nationally-advertised dealers who are not to be trusted either. You must treat them the same way that you treat unknown sellers on SleazeBay.

Chris
The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 07:39:20 AM »
Filthy, the sellers could care less about you. They just want to try and unload their problem coins on the first sucker that bites. Any time you buy raw coins on eBay, you are taking a risk. Before you bid on any one of them, you should be asking yourself, "If there is nothing wrong with this coin, why isn't it already in a slab?" Even if you ask the seller if it has been cleaned before you bid, the majority of the time they will either lie or they know absolutely nothing about coins in the first place. My advice is to steer clear of raw coins unless you know the seller. The money you waste on postage is a big deal because it adds to the gross cost of all of your purchases, combined.

Chris

Unfortunately, seeing the coins slabbed is no quarantee either. I've read where scammers will either use fake slabs and pass them off registered coins, or take real slabs, crack them open, and replace real coins with fakes. When buying anything online, especially coins and notes, it's a gamble. So far I've been pretty lucky. I try my best to be careful who I buy from.

~Daniel.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:40:36 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 01:04:15 PM »

Without naming names, there are some nationally-advertised dealers who are not to be trusted either. You must treat them the same way that you treat unknown sellers on SleazeBay.

Chris

On yeah, I've read enough on coin boards to have heard the names of which you speak.  I'm really surprised at some of the more reputable companies that seem to omit info that the customer would benefit from.

Since I hardly buy slabbed coins any more, I don't think that I've come across the problems that Zantetsuken has mentioned, but it is very real and disturbing nonetheless.  It really is a gamble to buy online, but it is sometimes our only option.

We almost need an anonymous poll to rate business dealings with coin companies. Some way to help others to learn from our own experiences without making it a personal rant against the seller.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 01:18:22 PM »
Your idea about an anonymous poll for sellers definitely has merit 'Filthybroke'. As you said, you can give an honest judgement, without direct confrontation. I never buy slabbed coins on Ebay for a couple reasons. One, for the reason already mentioned, it's too risky. Two, the prices are ofter ridiculous. For example, you could have a $200 coin that's slabbed, and the seller charges $3000 for it. Hey, I understand wanting to make a profit, but seriously. What's worse is you get some who'll pay it. In the end, it's up to the buyer to decide whether or not to buy such items.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:21:34 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 07:23:48 PM »
Your idea about an anonymous poll for sellers definitely has merit 'Filthybroke'. As you said, you can give an honest judgement, without direct confrontation. I never buy slabbed coins on Ebay for a couple reasons. One, for the reason already mentioned, it's too risky. Two, the prices are ofter ridiculous. For example, you could have a $200 coin that's slabbed, and the seller charges $3000 for it. Hey, I understand wanting to make a profit, but seriously. What's worse is you get some who'll pay it. In the end, it's up to the buyer to decide whether or not to buy such items.

I've seen a lot of what you describe on Ebay. Unfortunately, as long as there are people who buy at those prices, there will be sellers. :(

As far as a poll is concerned, it would likely take a whole dedicated section of this forum.  I see similar polls on other sites (for non-numismatic items), and it is quite helpful. All that is necessary would be a title and a scale of 1-5.  It would be an interesting addition, for sure.  It may be worth some more thought....