Author Topic: Coins Are Fun Coin Design contest with a cash prize!!  (Read 30116 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Re: Coins Are Fun Coin Design contest with a cash prize!!
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2010, 12:31:54 PM »
Everyones designs look great.
There are only 10 more days left to submit your designs, remember the contest ends October 18th.

Offline LotsoLuck

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2010, 11:40:55 PM »
Wow there are some really creative people here! So far though...being a ship coin/token collector the masted ship theme really appeals to me, but thats just me  :)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2010, 04:18:35 PM »

I wonder if there should be a seperate gallery for these entries, so we can view all entries and compare?  Lots of great ideas here, can't wait to see how this turns out. :)

Oh, and I actually sat down to draw (or sketch) a design this weekend, but wouldn't you know it, I got sidetracked by several football games. ;D  I may still get a little time to do another design, I really wanted to try to draw one rather than using the computer.  I haven't gotten a chance to get the sketch pad out in years.
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2010, 05:22:24 PM »

I wonder if there should be a seperate gallery for these entries, so we can view all entries and compare?  Lots of great ideas here, can't wait to see how this turns out. :)

Oh, and I actually sat down to draw (or sketch) a design this weekend, but wouldn't you know it, I got sidetracked by several football games. ;D  I may still get a little time to do another design, I really wanted to try to draw one rather than using the computer.  I haven't gotten a chance to get the sketch pad out in years.

I thought that when the end of the contest comes to place them on a new thread with the name of the designer and number them
so we can have a clear view of all the designs. Then we can vote.

btw, glad to see you back posting.......I thought you forgot about us or your football came first :( :LOL;

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2010, 06:11:30 PM »
glad to see you back posting.......I thought you forgot about us or your football came first :( :LOL;

Oh, I'm a pro at multitasking.  I'm watching two games and posting as we speak! ;D
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2010, 06:21:35 PM »
glad to see you back posting.......I thought you forgot about us or your football came first :( :LOL;

Oh, I'm a pro at multitasking.  I'm watching two games and posting as we speak! ;D

Ahhhh a true master :D

Offline Conderluva

• Collector
  • Karma +1/-0

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »

Here are a couple of ideas in draft form.  I guess they'll pass for brass, at least with an engraver.

I have some thoughts on the cartwheel version...

•  The medal should be struck in collar, if possible.

•  If not in collar, we'll have some really unique pieces.

•  Lettering on cartwheel version could be in a serif font.  : )

•  If we can get incuse lettering, I think the cartwheel version would be great;
in fact, it would be a medal like nobody else has, except King George III.  LOL

I have some thoughts on the version with raised lettering and rims...

Lion and man are resizable so can be made smaller or larger.

•  I thought about making lion smaller and giving him a flagstaff with a COINSAREFUN pennant/battle flag.

•  Rims on this version could be squared off, like flat rims on some Conders.  They would not have to be perfect.

•  Raised lettering can be in a font convenient to the engraver; it's not critical which font at this point.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:56:15 PM by Larry »
I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )

Offline Conderluva

• Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2010, 05:02:30 PM »
Love the cartwheel idea with incuse lettering.  That design would definitely make for a stunning medal, Larry!

Here are a couple of ideas in draft form.  I guess they'll pass for brass, at least with an engraver.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 05:03:42 PM by Conderluva »

Offline Larry

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2010, 06:07:20 AM »

I'm glad you like the cartwheel design.  : )

This looks more like brass I think.  The RGB values are 227,216,103.  : )
Also, I made the man a bit smaller to balance with size of the lion.

NOTE: I think these might sell like hotcakes, on ebay or elsewhere.  Plus, they would be great advertisements for the Coins Are Fun website.
I've also considered a medal as thick as the two pence cartwheel.  Of course, it would be subject to rim bruising if dropped on any hard surface.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 06:19:00 AM by Larry »
I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of Conder Tokens,
the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )