Author Topic: What are the winners and Losers of 2010?  (Read 3478 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
What are the winners and Losers of 2010?
« on: December 20, 2010, 11:50:14 AM »
The year is wrapping up and I wanted to hear from everyone what coins did well
this year and what were some of the losers.

Winners
It appears to be that key date coins did well s they always do.
Basic Gold coins did well because of the price of gold going up.
World Coins seam to be also going up too

Losers
Anything Lincoln appears to have dropped off the map other than key dates
and better grades.
Common date Morgans looks like they took a hit except towards the end of this year
the priced raised slightly but that was due to raising prices in silver.

What do you guys have to say?

Offline BCNumismatics

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
What are the winners and losers of 2010?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »
Stefanie,
  I bought far fewer coins this year,due to the increasing costs of living caused by the recession,& by corrupt policies being promoted by the politicians over here.

I had been buying far more notes this year than I did last year.

I don't know what 2011 will be like as far as the numismatic trade goes.I know of 2 Malaysian states that are planning to put out their own coin issues in the next year or so.

Aidan.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 04:18:44 PM by BCNumismatics »

Offline Billy Kingsley

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
    • My Fotki- almost 90 thousand photos!
Re:What are the winners and Losers of 2010?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:58:23 PM »
The winners are, without question, the nice people who have given me extras from their collection. Overall 2010 was a horrible year for me, both hobby wise and overall. I'll be glad when it ends.
Billy Kingsley Member: ANA, SPMC
http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/
Collector of all coins, currency, whatever I like!

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: What are the winners and Losers of 2010?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:14:16 AM »

Sorry to hear that, Billy, I hope things pick up for you next year.

I think gold was a huge mover this year, which only means that I'm priced out of it until things stabilize.  I know there are arguements both ways on what will happen there, but I'm staying clear until I see prices ease off on gold coins.
please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline regandon

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +4/-0
Re: What are the winners and Losers of 2010?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 08:53:35 AM »
2010 seen a jump in 19th century World Coin sales.
2010 Losers:  The true collector was the loser, as the investors pushed the US coin market out of their reach.

How about the out look for 2011.

Silver and gold will still be on the move up in price in 2011. The world coin market will do very good. I've seen the collector interest pushing over to the World Coin arena very strongly. Its the only area were you can still buy low mintage key coins at a price thats affordable compared to US coins. The US coin market is controled by the deep pocket investors, so collectors have been moving over to World Coins.

So my guess for 2011.

1) Gold and Silver will still hit all time highs as the deep pocket investor keep buying.
2) 19th century World Coins will be the biggest movers. I've seen early and late date 1800's German States coins selling at all time highs.
3) Very early 1900's German States coins will still be a big hit with the collectors.
4) Medal collectors will do good. But, jump in fast as this area of the market is growing fast.

Losers for 2011. If the economy makes a turn around.
Look at the market getting flooded with Morgans and high end US gold coins as the investors dump their holdings.

Losers if the economy stays or gets worst in 2011.
Common date low grade ( VF) US coins will hit bottom as the intrest will be in high grade key date coins.
Why do I think this ? Dealers will have so many low end coins that are not moving, they will not want to buy more, as they will never get the price they want when selling them.

The big IF, is if the economy makes a turn around. If it does, then look at the investors flooding the market. This will be good for the collector, as it should bring prices down on US coins. It will take a few years for the prices to start going down.

For a doom and gloom out look.
If the US goes down the **iter, it would be best to sell off the collection and pay off as many loans as you can. Ofcourse, only you can can make the call on when you think the bottom will hit. I hope the USA can pull through, as I think it will,...but I think it will be within the next six to eight years.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 09:17:10 AM by regandon »
regandon
ANA member #R-3128774

Knights Templer
IN . HOC . SIGNO . VINGS