Here's the idea - A WWII coin set

Back
  • Here's the idea - A WWII coin set   by FilthyBroke on 20 Jan, 2011 06:45

• Have any members attempted a World War II set of coins yet?  I'd love to know how you assembled it.  Or even if it hasn't been tried, how would you go about it? 

I'm considering the theme, and am in the process of laying out a foundation for it.  I'm thinking I should seperate axis vs. allied nations and include specifically the dates that each nation was pulled into the war.  What do you think?  I know it's probably going to be a complicated subject, so I ordered a copy of World War II Remembered: History in Your Hands, a Numismatic Study by Joseph E. Boling.  It's supposed to be a study of coins, notes, and medals of the era along with occupation issues.  I'm going to read up on it a bit before I nail down a solid theme for this set.  I do know it'll be circulated coins, though.  I am really enthusiastic about this idea.  It should give me a nice low-budget side project to work on in, and help me to learn more about the war.

How would you assemble a WWII themed set? 
  • Reply #1   by coinsarefun on 20 Jan, 2011 11:09
  • I never thought of doing a WWII set but I have done a 1944 PD&S mint set in honor of my father
    But they are al US coins  http://www.coinsarefun.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=32;nw;start=0

Putting together a World set might be cool :ThumbsUp;
  • Reply #2   by walmann on 20 Jan, 2011 20:56
  • That would be a wonderful set to put together, butitI wouldnice to include the neutral nations as well, some of which had some great coins from that era.
    Regardless if you did include neutrals or not, that would be one massive and interesting collection, so many varities over that course of time with not only design types but the use of various non changee in metals used over the course of the war.
  • Reply #3   by FilthyBroke on 21 Jan, 2011 06:44

• Well, I thought I'd keep it very basic to begin with, but if I can maintain a long-term interest then I would expand to neutral countries and multiple-denominations.  I would probably pick out a single denomination (maybe two) to begin with, but I'll withhold that decision until I get the book and look it over. 

This should be interesting, though.  I have no idea about the occupational coin issues yet, this is new territory for me.  I wonder if there's a comprehensive site on the subject matter?  I'll do a little searching this afternoon and see what I can find.

• Reply #4   by JRocco on 01 Feb, 2011 20:27
  • I don't know much about them, but I have a few Nazi coins my father brought home with him after his tour of duty.

This one is a white metal, maybe tin.
  • Reply #5   by FilthyBroke on 25 May, 2011 19:27
  • I don't get out to many shows these days, so I haven't added much to this set lately.  I do have a decent mix of 18 different countries so far, mostly silver and copper, but a few off-metal coins too.  The toughest finds so far was a Japanese 5 Sen and a USSR 15 kopek, both of which had to be ordered rather than show finds.

• Reply #6   by coinsarefun on 25 May, 2011 19:55
  • Are you putting them in a folder in the gallery?
  • Reply #7   by FilthyBroke on 26 May, 2011 05:05
  • Are you putting them in a folder in the gallery?

I certainly can, I really didn't consider it because they're common circulated coins that most people have probably already seen.  It would be a chance to get the new camera out and get in some practice. 
  • Reply #8   by coinsarefun on 26 May, 2011 12:23
  • It would be nice to see such a set.
    Even if common it's the theme that is cool
  • Reply #9   by FilthyBroke on 26 May, 2011 16:16
  • Here are a few of them, still in their 2x2's with all of the info and neat handwriting still intact (much better than my scribbling)-
    1944 Netherlands 25 cents-

1940 Russia 15 kopek-

1943 Portugal 2 1/2 escudos-

1940 Sweden 25 ore-

1944 Philippines 20 centavos-

1944 Switzerland 1/2 franc-

There's really no solid structure to the set, just WWII era dates, coins that were in the hands of the people living through the war.  It's a fun, low-dollar project.

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Go to page: