Suffolk, Bungay DH 1, One Penny Conder Token, "Double Token"

Back
  • Suffolk, Bungay DH 1, One Penny Conder Token, "Double Token"   by Larry on 03 Nov, 2009 11:47

• Suffolk, Bungay DH 1 • 1794 Bigod's Castle/Justice Standing  "Double Token", One Penny

Obverse shows remains of ancient castle (see footnote below image).  Though not looking like this anymore, the remains are still visited regularly by tourists.

Bungay DH 1 is an unusual variety of one penny Conder Token, having been struck with the same dies used for identical halfpenny DH 22 tokens.  In addition to being twice the thickness and weight of the halfpenny, it says "Double Token" on its lettered edge.  It is listed first among Bungay tokens in Dalton & Hamer.

This token is uncirculated.  I'd estimate its grade at MS-63 or so. In the UK, it might grade gEF (which ranges from our AU-55 to MS-62).  Diameter is 30mm.  Weight is 28 grams.

Edge reads... DOUBLE TOKEN  PAYABLE BY S. PRENTICE • X • X • X •

This was a marvelous find for me.  I have the companion halfpenny token Bungay DH 22 which I bought on ebay a bit more than three years ago.   It is featured in another thread.  I always liked this design, liking castles and bricks on Conder Tokens.

Footnote...

BIGODS CASTLE AND VISITORS CENTRE

HUGH BIGOD

Here on the high ground, virtually surrounded by the Waveney and a site of earlier fortifications, Hugh Bigod, as feudal lord, built a massive Norman keep in 1165. From this site the truculent Hugh terrorised the local Saxons and at times illegally occupied the castles at Norwich and Orford. In 1174 he supported Henry 11's rebellious sons in armed insurrection, which ended in surrender of the Castle to lhe King's forces and the payment of 1,000 Marks for his disloyalty. Hugh Bigod was killed in Syria on a crusade in 1178, at last fighting for his King.

ROGER BIGOD

A second castle was built by Roger Bigod in 1394, which protected the town with curtain walls and provided the famous twin towers of the gate house which remain today. Further information can be found on the Bigod Castle plinth by the entrance to the site.

Following a successful bid for European 5b matched funding in 1997 by the Bungay Castle Trust, money was obtained for the conversion of a derelict garage site, on the approaches to the Castie, into a visitors centre.

Bigods Castle

http://myths.e2bn.org/mythsandlegends/playstory8-the-black-dogs-of-bungay.html

Also, there is a gothic novel entitled Bungay Castle. Written by Eizabeth Bonhote (1744-1818), it was published in two volumes in 1796. Elizabeth's husband, Daniel Bonhote, had purchased the castle at her request in 1792.

http://www.zittaw.com/bungay.htm

• Reply #1   by walmann on 03 Nov, 2009 13:51
  • I like the depiction of Justice, then again I've always preferred allegorical women more so than any other subject matter.

The motto "For Change Not Fraud" has meaning both when this was a contemporary piece as well as now.
  • Reply #2   by coinsarefun on 03 Nov, 2009 16:09
  • Interesting Conder with some  :signcool; history.
    What's there NOT to like :)

Thanks for posting that one Larry and I'm jealous as to where you find these beauties.

Stefanie
  • Reply #3   by BCNumismatics on 08 Nov, 2009 19:47
  • Larry,
      How can this be a 1 Penny trader's currency token,unless it is struck on a double thickness planchet with 1/2 Penny dies.

If this is the case,then it would be extremely unusual,as a 1 Penny at that time was a pretty large piece of copper.

Still,that is one amazing coin you have got there.

Aidan.
  • Reply #4   by Larry on 09 Nov, 2009 01:32
  • Aidan, perhaps you missed the descripton I offered along with the photos...

"Bungay DH 1 is an unusual variety of one penny Conder Token, having been struck with the same dies used for identical halfpenny DH 22 tokens. In addition to being twice the thickness and weight of the halfpenny, it says "Double Token" on its lettered edge.  It is listed first among Bungay tokens in Dalton & Hamer."

• Reply #5   by BCNumismatics on 09 Nov, 2009 01:40
  • Larry,
      I had never come across a double thickness 1/2d. before,which is what really perplexed me.

As for Dalton & Hamer,I haven't even come across a recent edition of it.The latest edition I was was published back in the 1970's.Even that one was very expensive,so I couldn't afford to buy it.

If Dalton & Hamer was available on C.D.s,I would be very interested in getting it.

Aidan.

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Go to page:
You're not logged in

Navigation