Images of the Goldberg's Auction winnings

Back
  • Images of the Goldberg's Auction winnings   by coinsarefun on 05 Feb, 2010 22:58
  • Picked them up today and gave it a shot at imaging :)

1794 D&H-4 Cornwall. Penryn. Halfpenny Edge: Milled. Supported shield of arms.
    Reverse: A laureated bust in center, surrounded by military items.

NGC Proof 66 Brown

1799 Warwickshire. Birmingham Penny D&H-27a. Edge: ARMED TO "PRESERVE" & C., instead of "Protect".

Only 24 struck with this edge

NGC MS64BN

Ireland. Dublin. Halfpenny, ND. D&H-336. Edge: Plain. H.S & Co cypher. Reverse: Wheatsheaf and doves.

Scarce.

NGC graded MS-65 Red & Brown.

• Reply #1   by Deagle74 on 06 Feb, 2010 02:10
  • Mmmm again - VERY nice!!! And yes - Peace and Plenty it should be!

R
  • Reply #2   by FilthyBroke on 06 Feb, 2010 09:23
  • Cool pickups, Stefanie!  :ThumbsUp;

The 1794 D&H-4 Cornwall is quite nice, love the unicorns!  It has the look of a few jetons I've seen, with the helmets and shield. I wonder if the engraver was French?
  • Reply #3   by coinsarefun on 06 Feb, 2010 12:58
  • Cool pickups, Stefanie!  :ThumbsUp;

The 1794 D&H-4 Cornwall is quite nice, love the unicorns!  It has the look of a few jetons I've seen, with the helmets and shield. I wonder if the engraver was French?

I am not sure who the engraver was but wouldn't doubt the theory of him being Franch.
    I have to send these to Goodman for proper imaging ;)
  • Reply #4   by cpm9ball on 06 Feb, 2010 18:17
  • Those are nice, Stef!

I suspect that the designer was probably English. France wasn't getting along too well with England during that period. Is there a name or initials anywhere on it? I could look it up.

Chris
  • Reply #5   by farthing on 06 Feb, 2010 18:44
  • Very nice tokens Stef!

The engraver for the Cornwall token was named Ponthon (as listed in D&H)  The token was struck by Matthew Boulton.
  • Reply #6   by cpm9ball on 06 Feb, 2010 19:01
  • Very nice tokens Stef!

The engraver for the Cornwall token was named Ponthon (as listed in D&H)  The token was struck by Matthew Boulton.

Thanks, Farthing!

Ponthon(British) Die-sinker and Engraver of the latter part of the eighteenth century, who was employed at the Soho Mint, Birmingham, and also by Lutwyche of Birmingham. His signature PONTHON , or P.sometimes occurs on his Tokens, which display unusual artistic merit.

NOTE: This extract is taken from the Biographical Dictionary of Medallists by L. Forrer.

Chris
  • Reply #7   by coinsarefun on 06 Feb, 2010 19:41
  • Thanks Farthing and Chris for the info. These Conde'rs keep mt interest going and going.
    There is so much to learn about these fascinating little goodies.

BTW, I am so happy to see you here Farthing....a great big  :Welcome;
    and hope to see some of your collection and share your knowledge with us :)

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Go to page:
You're not logged in

Navigation